The Provincial Team (PT) is the top tier of Manitoba’s Athlete Development Program and is byinvitation only. The PT is geared towards athletes who are currently participating at National level competitions or Championships and are consistently demonstrating that they are striving towards top performances at those events, and have mastered the technical fundamentals to train and compete at a high level in both short track and long track.
The PT is designed for athletes training at the Provincial level as a pathway towards training at a High Performance Centre in Canada. The overall goal of the program is to ensure that our skaters are being adequately supported at the provincial level.
● To develop athletes by focusing on the physical development of speed, strength, aerobic endurance and agility.
● Focusing on optimizing competitive development and strategies, improving overall knowledge of sport science concepts.
● To provide athletes and coaches with an educational environment that promotes and enhances knowledge of advanced training development and procedures.
● Long-term mission is to produce nationally and internationally competitive skaters.
The Development Team (DT) is a speed skating development program geared towards developing speed skaters and talent transfer athletes to a competitive level regionally, with the longer term goal of competing nationally.
The DT is designed for athletes currently training at the regional level and as a pathway towards training on the Provincial Team. The overall goal of the program is to ensure that these skaters are being adequately supported in their growth as an athlete with a strong focus on technical and physiological development.
To develop athletes by:
- Enhancing critical skill and Speed Skating technical proficiency.
- Focusing on physical development to improve speed, strength, aerobic endurance, flexibility and agility.
- Focusing on optimizing competitive development and strategies.
- To provide athletes and coaches with an educational environment that promotes and enhances knowledge of training development and procedures.
- Long-term mission is to produce nationally competitive speed skaters.
Talent Transfer program
The Talent Transfer (TT) program is a speed skating development program geared towards developing talent transfer athletes into speed skaters that can compete at the regional level in the short term (year 1), at the National level in the midterm (year 2-3), and ultimately at the International level in the longer term (year 3+).
The TT program is designed for high performance athletes currently training at a serious level (8+ hours per week of training and competition) in another sport with complimentary skills and attributes to skating (must be a proficient skater on hockey or figure skates). The
TT program is a pathway towards training with the Provincial Speed Skating Team. The
overall goal of the TT program is to develop high performance athletes from other sports
into speed skaters that can train with the Provincial speed skating Team, through technical
and physiological specific training.